Regardless of whether you are a student or an experienced nursing professional, you should never underestimate the value of attending nursing conferences. Nursing practitioner conferences allow nurses of all levels to participate in an area of growth that is not found in their work structure. It is an excellent opportunity to interact with colleagues within a specialty and learn the latest medical information.
- Why Should You Participate in a Nursing Conference?
- So Why Attend Nurse Practitioner Conferences 2016?
- Range of Nurse Practitioner Conferences 2016 to Choose from
- Nurse Practitioner Conferences 2016 Venues
- A List of Nurse Practitioner Conferences 2016
- How to Obtain the Most out of Nurse Practitioner Conferences 2016
- Additional Tips for Nurse Practitioner Conferences 2016
Before delving into the topic of nurse practitioner conferences 2016, why should you attend or participate in a nursing conference? In other words, what’s the incentive for furthering your education and skills?
To begin with, most governments require their nurses to renew their license by earning credits through continuing education, training and seminars. Total spending on health care in the world increased by more than 6% last year — topping up to $3 trillion overall in countries like the US. That’s according to a study carried out by the World Health Organization. And as if that’s not enough, the total global expenditure per person per year continues to rise at an alarming rate.
Another study established that the consumption rate of sophisticated diagnostic imaging technology stood out in most countries especially Japan and the US. If you’re more analytical of this, you might recognize the relationship between these rates and how the medical fraternity needs to capitalize their skills to offer the best medical care in their areas of operation.
What does this really mean?
At this point — one thing’s for sure — that health care means a lot to the government (and by extension to all experts in the medical field). Nurse practitioner conferences 2016 aim to ascertain leaps in health practice, management, and education in relation to health disparities. It is a valid way to keep up with the modern advancement in healthcare, gain insight into the future and develop new skills to boost patient care in the clinical area.
Here are the main benefits of attending a nursing conference.
- Career Development
Keeping up with new trends in your profession will not only allow you to advance your career but to also earn more money. Additionally, by being at the forefront in keeping up with these changes, you demonstrate your commitment to improvement and learning. This will enable you to acquire new skills which you can share at the workplace. Customarily, your employer may consider giving you a job promotion or an increase in pay.
The topmost benefit, in my opinion, is the fact that nursing conferences offer something that is only available once attended — human interaction. Nothing can replace the tangible benefits associated with interacting with experts and colleagues in your specialty area, participating in a one-on-one education program and acquiring new medical information firsthand. These interactions often have long-lasting effects and enduring relationships between members.
- Continuing Education Units
Nursing continuing education conferences are an easy way to earn continuing education contact hours, which are a requirement in most states for successful license renewal. It is a great feeling to fulfill your career demands in one of the most exciting ways. Additionally, familiarization with new technologies and equipment in a setting where every member is given an opportunity to participate can be one of the most rewarding experiences.
If you are eyeing a leadership spot in the near future, there is no better place to gain the required skills other than from a conference. Huge nursing organizations such as the American Nurses Organization have lots of specialty conferences which are an eye opener for many. They offer you a platform to interact with the current movers and shakers for opportunities beyond mere imagination. For instance, doing volunteer work could be a good start to be appointed to the huge positions.
- Exhibit Conference Benefits
Exhibit halls will often showcase new drugs and products for potential future use. With vendors gathered in one place, you get to collect first-hand information about new technologies and products in a very short time. And apart from acquiring new information, you get to interact with new companies offering solutions you’ve never heard of before.
Once you attend a nursing practitioner conference, you gather valuable information which you can readily share back at home. This proves your motivation and determination levels not only to the management but your fellow workmates as well. As such, you get to earn more respect as you will be viewed as an asset to the organization. This is why it is very crucial to take notes, pictures and collect materials which can be shared with others and also used for reference purposes.
7. Immense Fun
A nursing conference can make for a great base for enjoying the perks that your profession has to offer. You work hard at work every day so a break from routine can serve as an incentive to enjoy the new scenery as well as do something different. In its entirety, it is a chance to explore a new city, meet new friends and nurture lifelong working relationships with colleagues.
With nurse education conference season forthcoming, nurse practitioners should begin making plans for the meetings they are going to attend this year. The range of nurse practitioner conferences 2016 is extensive and permeates through every nursing group, association, and specialty.
- Group Focused Conferences: Most conferences are usually group focused. These include the National Black Nurses Association, the American Nurses Association, the National Association of Hispanic Nurses and the American Assembly of Nurses in Men.
- Specialty Focused Conferences: Some conferences are specialty focused. These include the National Association of Neonatal Nurses, the Oncology Nursing Society and the Association of Operating Room Nurses.
- Yet, there is another subset of conferences that addresses certain levels of nursing including the managerial and executive levels. These include the American Organization of Nurse Executives, the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and the National League of Nursing.
Nursing conferences are usually held in pre-planned cities one or more years in advance so as to give attendees an opportunity to plan ahead of time. This is because the conferences require one to come up with the funding required to offset costs and plan the necessary time off to attend the conference, especially of the venues are held in faraway places. Nurse practitioner conferences 2016 will be held in a number of cities. We will delve into the details in the following topic.
We have come up with a comprehensive list of nurse practitioner conferences 2016 describing the details of the meeting, venues, date and time, costs and contact hours. This list includes conferences organized by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, National Nurse Practitioner Symposium, Doctors of Nursing Practice, International Council of Nurse Practitioners, NPWH Premier Women’s Healthcare, along with other conferences hosted by nurse practitioner specialty organizations.
- AANP 2016 National Conference
The AANP National Conference is the largest annual affair in the field of nursing. This year’s conference is slated for June 21st to 26th 2016 at Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Centre in San Antonio, Texas. The program will allow attendees to accumulate over 35 contact hours through participation in 40 different skill advancement workshops and 295 educational settings at only $570. Some of the specialty areas that will be covered include faculty development, dermatology, military healthcare, emergent care, pain management, orthopedics, women health and pharmacology. If you are planning to attend a nursing CEU conference, it is important to book your slot early, so you don’t get locked out because the spots fill up quickly.
- National Nurse Practitioner Symposium
This year’s National Nurse Practitioner Symposium is scheduled to be held on July 7th to 10th, 2016 at the Keystone Conference Center in the town of Keystone. The main speaker is Patricia Schroeder, a lawyer whose main agenda is to discuss leadership and foster the spirit of positive thinking. Attendees are guaranteed a 30-hour fulfilling session at only $715. Here you get the opportunity to intermingle with political figures, nurse practitioner activists, and elected officials for a one-on-one interactive session. If you are out to earn continuing education points, then you are assured of 34 hours onsite and 9 hours thereafter via the online platform.
- NPWH Premier Women’s Healthcare Conference
For the year 2016, Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health will be hosting their 19th annual conference at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel in the city of New Orleans from September 28th to October 1st. The main agenda for the meeting is to discuss issues concerning women health including but not limited to the use of emergency contraceptive pill and treatment of injuries caused by deliberate genitalia attack. Attendees are guaranteed of a comprehensive session with networking opportunities, career advancement and educational tips plus a one in a lifetime chance to sample delicious foods of all kind.
- Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference
The 9th Annual Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference is scheduled to be held on October 5th to 7th, 2016 at the Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards in Baltimore. The main agenda of the meeting is to reinforce the relationships that exist between Doctors of Nursing Practice and other healthcare providers for seamless performance in the health sector. Here, attendees will be taught how to maximize their resources to get the best outcomes for patients and therefore be more productive. For only $450, DNP students and DNP graduates get to indulge in a life-changing conference that will give them the opportunity for an excellent career take-off.
- Psychopharmacology Congress
Every year, the Psychopharmacology Congress attracts over 1000 attendees who are eager to learn about the latest developments in psychiatric education. This year, the conference is scheduled to be held at Broadmoor in Colorado with Dr. Steven Stahl, the founder of the Neuroscience Education Institute. The primary goal of the meeting is to improve the field of Psychopharmacology by giving insights on the newest innovations. For only $899, attendees get to participate in a 3-day conference starting from 3rd to 6th November 2016 and earn up to 20 contact hours for continuing education.
- International Council of Nurse Practitioners
From 9th to 11th September 2016, the International Council of Nurse Practitioners will host their conference to discuss information technology, prescription practices, health needs and innovative teaching methods. Attendees will have a chance to interact with guest speaker, Dr. Sophia Chan, who is internationally recognized for her teachings on the adverse effects of smoking. The conference will be held at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center in Hong Kong, China. All nurse practitioners will have a chance to participate in the conference for only $1080.
- Primary Care Focus Symposium 2016
The 15th annual Primary Care Focus Symposium is to be held at the Marco Island Marriott Resort in Marco Island from June 24th to 26th, 2016. The symposium’s main agenda is to provide valuable continuing education to healthcare professionals including nurses and personal assistants. For only $225, primary health care nurse practitioners get to participate in a conference that will open them up for bigger opportunities in their places of work. Additionally, all attendees will have a chance to earn up to 12 contact hours in the meeting.
- JADPRO Live 2016
Advanced Practitioner Society for Hematology and Oncology invites hematology and oncology-focused nurse practitioners for their annual event scheduled to be held at the Gaylord National Hotel in National Harbor from 3rd to 6th November 2016. This year’s meeting is expected to gather more than 1000 physicians, pharmacists and nurse practitioners who are interested in learning the latest in hematology and oncology care.
- AANP 2016 Specialty & Leadership Conference
The Specialty and Leadership Conference from American Association of Nurse Practitioners is targeted towards those specializing in cardiology, pulmonology, orthopedics, neurology, endocrinology and anyone intending to be a leader. It is scheduled to be held at Hyatt Regency O’Hare Hotel in Rosemont on September 22nd to 25th, 2016. If you’re planning to be at this conference, be sure to keep checking their website for the specific cost and contact hours.
- Annual GAPNA Conference
The 35th Annual GAPNA conference 2016 is scheduled to be held at the Arizona Grand Resort in Phoenix, AZ on September 21st to 24th. The conference is geared towards specialists in the field of gerontology. It is going to be one of a kind as it promises both career advancement and networking opportunities beyond measure for all attendees.
Attending the nurse practitioner conferences 2016 will take up your time, energy and money. For this reason, it is very crucial to ensure that you make the most of the short period you will be at the meeting. Regardless of whether you will be attending the nurse practitioner conferences 2016 for the first time or not, here are some tips to help you obtain the best experience.
- Make hotel reservations as soon as you register for nurse practitioner conferences 2016. This will help you dodge unwanted last minute rushes and ensure that you secure yourself a room before they fill up.
- Before traveling, be sure to call the hotel to confirm whether your reservations are in order. To avoid mix-ups, it is always prudent to ensure that what you booked for is actually available.
- Just like any other trip, it is wise to remember to carry along a few foods and snacks to help you save money and also perhaps avoid unhealthy foods in case you are on a diet.
- For networking purposes, it is very crucial to have your business cards with you. Even though there are many other ways of exchanging contact information, business cards have always been the best form of networking especially in conferences where you expect to meet a lot of people.
- Since you will be going to different countries, it is important to be aware of weather conditions in the destination cities. Being aware of weather conditions will help you plan ahead of time to avoid mishaps.
- Be sure to carry a charger, a phone, a portable laptop and any other gadget that you think might be of use to you.
- In most conferences, there will always be exhibit hall giveaways. In this case, an extra bag will be a handy companion for keeping the products. You might also want to do a little bit of side shopping for travel sakes.
- Advance planning is one of the most important things to remember when planning to attend a nursing CEU conference or any other conference for nurse practitioners. Most participants in the meeting will be listeners, so it is important to take full advantage of what the speakers have to offer. As such, downloading the final copy of the conference agenda to get acquainted with the schedule is the most effective way to ensure you will be up-to-date with everything going on at the venue once you are there.
- There is nothing worse than sitting through a conference that is irrelevant to your profession. Far too often, we ignore the preliminaries prior to attending a conference and end up sabotaging our chances of developing our careers or even gaining nursing CEU points. To avoid this, be sure to register for conferences that are applicable to your practice. For instance, for nurse practitioner conferences 2016, you can plan to attend with a few co-workers. It will be a great way to have an enjoyable and fun-filled experience. Furthermore, you will be able to share the knowledge you gained from the conference once you are back to work.