It is always a rewarding career to feel wanted by the people you serve. Such is the case with nurse practitioner jobs. Being a nurse practitioner opens lots of opportunities for those who choose it as their career path. It is one of the best choices that many students want to make thanks to its high demand not only in the US but also the world over. But as much as it is that promising, you might want to know about the availability of jobs, what you will do and other helpful information.
- Nursing Practitioner Job Description
- Job Specialties for Nurse Practitioners
- The Best States to Get Nurse Practitioner Employment
- Nurse Practitioner Job Outlook in the US
As a nurse practitioner, you have advanced knowledge in the healthcare sector and thus your duties cover a wide scope. You will be involved in consultation, diagnosis and treatments. You can handle both inpatient and outpatient cases depending on the kind of institution you are working. In a daily routine, these are the chores that will be in your way day in day out:
- Give guidance to patients about medication and their side effects.
- Diagnose and treat an array of diseases and conditions.
- Teach patients on how to maintain their health and be pro-preventive rather than waiting for cure.
- Order diagnostic tests such as X-rays.
There is a wide range of job specialties that you can take on as a nurse practitioner. The following are the major areas of practice and their job description:
- Family nurse practitioner job description: these are advanced registered nurses (RNs) who work hand in hand with other nursing professionals to ensure the delivery of family based nursing care. Their scope of duties is wide hence there is no clear definition of what they can do and unless it is a specialized case they will not need the help of other practitioners. Their duties include and not limited to counseling, disease prevention, improving clean and safe environment at home among other needs that face families. Their level of education clears them to offer specialized treatment and this makes them a top target for hospitals. They can also work as policy makers as well as administrators.
- Pediatric nurse practitioner job description: pediatric nurses are concerned with a clear defined age group. Their main specialization is in early age but they can also choose a broader focus depending on their working environment. There are those who will exclusively work with neonates while others will dwell on older children and go for those as old as 18 years. For those dealing with older children will be better suited to work in general pediatric wards. They do not work under any supervision and they make independent prescriptions and treatment decisions.
- Oncology nurse practitioner job description: these are specialists in cancer treatment. They offer informed advice on clinical options for cancer treatment as well as giving guidance on how to deal with conditions that may not be remedied in any known medical way. They follow up on treated cases and make sure that the patients are responding well to the methods of treatment or intervention.
- Primary care nurse practitioner job description: just like a number of other nursing specialties, there are nurse practitioners with general qualifications and they help in handling general and light duties in nursing institutions. They prescribe medication, order for tests and advice on the best way to maintain hygiene among patients. They do not have a particular line of duty and they can be called in to help in many situations as the need arises.
- Psychiatric nurse practitioner job description: for you to qualify as one, you need a PhD. They are therapists that help patients get out of hard situations through professional help. They at times prescribe medication to help patients in handling their difficult time after traumatic diseases or conditions. They work closely with psychiatrists and psychologists to help determine the best course of actions on a patient.
- Neonatal nurse practitioner job description: these are the specialists you need for a child’s first days after birth. Although they are qualified to handle all newborns, they are more suited for those cases that need special attention. They are present in intensive care units for the neonatals, delivery and emergency rooms.
- Travel nurse practitioner job description: they are charged with a myriad of duties touching on administration of medication and preparation of meals with specific set-up of nutrients. They travel a lot to teach families and caretakers on the best way to ensure patients’ health. They follow up on patient cases and decide the next course of action when the needs arise.
The Best States to Get Nurse Practitioner Employment
There are so many factors that make nursing such an attractive career among students. One of the factors is the financial rewards. There are states that pay better than others for their nurses. Nurse practitioner jobs in California are among the best paying and appropriate working environments. Others in this list of best places to work as a nurse practitioner include Washington DC, Oregon, Alaska, Arizona, and New Mexico. They pay well and your working environment will be better in terms of regulations.
Bureau of Labor Statistics pointed out clearly that nurse practitioner jobs continue to be plenty. For the decade starting 2012, this nursing area is expected to see a growth of 34% margin as compared to the overall nursing career employment outlook that is expected to see a 22% expansion in the same decade. This makes it one of the most promising nursing specialties and hence you can understand the increased number of those who want to choose this as their career path. Both hospitals and physicians’ offices lead in the employment of nurse practitioners.
You are not wrong to make a career choice as a nursing practitioner. It has a bright future being one of the nursing areas to experience the biggest employment growth in the next decade. There are many job opportunities in public and private institutions. You are now aware of where you are walking into as you make your career choice. Keep nursing knowledge updated by regularly visiting this website to give you the latest information that you can use for your education and job.