Nursing is one of the admired courses all around the world, but one may not have enough funding. Scholarships for nursing students are rewarded to those who show excellence and put an extraordinary effort in a particular field. There are various scholarships available for you, to help you pursue your dream. These scholarships are offered by different organizations, universities, and colleges. There are different qualifications that you have to meet to get scholarships for nursing students since they are mostly limited. The advantage of these scholarships is that they are not only limited to United States citizen, but also accessible international students.
- Organizations that Offer Scholarships for Nursing Students
- Scholarships for Nursing Students
- Scholarships for Graduate Nursing Students
- Scholarships for Undergraduate Nursing Students
- Scholarships for Male Nursing Students
- Scholarships for Pre-Nursing Students
The following are some of the organizations that offer scholarships for nursing students in the United States:
- Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurse
- Delta State University
- Northern Illinois University
- National Black Nurse Associations
- American Assembly for Men
- Johnson and Johnson Discover Nursing Scholarship Database
- Minority Nurse
There are different scholarships for nursing students for different degree programs and interests of the applicant. We shall try to break them down to give you a wide variety of information according to what you want to pursue. These include:
- Scholarships for graduate nursing students
- Scholarships for undergraduate nursing students
- Scholarships for male nursing students
- Scholarship for pre-nursing students
The following are some of the scholarships for nursing students available for graduate nursing students:
- Army Nurse Corps Association (ANCA) education fund
It is one of the ANCA’s programs that supports worth US students with accredited program in nursing, anesthesia, and other related healthcare. The nursing scholarship program gives $3000 grants to any university or college. The following is the criteria one has to attain to get scholarship:
- The applicant must be a nursing or anesthesia student who has parent(s), spouse, or children in the army.
- Students who are interested in joining the army national guard or reserve and active army.
- You must not be currently funded by any other army component.
- Students who have served in the Army national guard, reserve or army.
- Students who are officers of the army nurse corps of the US army and are enrolled there.
- Enlisted soldiers that are interested in pursuing a degree or further studies in nursing.
- American School Health Association Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to those interested in dealing with the youth’s health concerns. They offer three $1,000 grants each year in nursing specialization in pediatric or adolescent medicine, pediatric and adolescent dental nursing, school nursing, and school health education. They also consider a nursing field in the school of nutrition and counseling, as long as a letter together with the application is forwarded. The following are the requirements:
- Should be interested in a nursing field that caters to the health needs of children and youth.
- The scholarship owner gets a membership to the American School Health Association.
- Kansas Nursing Service Scholarship
This one is offered to Kansas residents only.
It offers partial scholarship funding by covering part of the tuition fee for the applicant.
The applicant must work in one of the sponsor facility after finishing school and acquiring a Kansas license for a year. It is further broken down into smaller sets.
The following scholarships for nursing studentss are offered to graduate nursing students:
- Kansas osteopathic medical service scholarship — The applicant is given $15000 per year for all the four years of study in nationally accredited osteopathic schools.
- Kansas dental opportunity program — They pay the residents and non-residents difference
- Kansas optometry scholarship — They pay the difference between residents and non-residents tuition at out of state eligible institutions.
- Prenatal Graduate Nursing Scholarship
It offers annual $5000 grants in registered nurses in graduate programs in maternity-child nursing programs. These scholarships help to improve mothers and new born babies by providing adequate nursing care.
The applicant must have one academic term to be completed after May of that year wherein the scholarship is scheduled to be granted.
Must currently be a member of Neonatal Nurses, the Association of Women’s Health, the National Association of Neonatal Nurses, and the American College of Nurse-Midwives, and Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses currently in order to qualify.
Members of the March of Dimes board of trustees and their family members are not eligible for this scholarship. Since March of dimes also gives scholarships to nurses who are registered, and are in the maternal-child nursing program, this is an integrated scholarship for those who qualify.
- Nurse Leaders of North America
It is sponsored by Global Scholarship Alliance (GSA). The aim is to improve the new generation of nurses.
They provide a full scholarship for a graduate program in nursing with multi-year employment.
The following are the requirements:
- You must be a registered nurse
- You must be a resident of the United State or Canada
- You must have the drive to work
- You must have completed at least a year in nursing experience
- A nurse I am scholarship by Cherokee uniform
They award up to $2000 scholarship for nursing students to use as tuition money, pay school fees and use in any other school related expenses. The following are the requirements:
- The applicant must be enrolled either full-time or part-time
- The applicant must be within the 50 U.S.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen
- The applicant must complete the application online and the essay which varies with time
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurse
AACN’s nursing scholarship program aims at making sure one learns from the experience, improves themselves as individuals and they grow to become better people. The following are the eligibility requirements:
- The applicant must be an active member of the AACN while applying, and also during the time, they will be funded.
- The applicants must be in a position to showcase their knowledge and skills.
- The applicant must present a detailed budget of the learning activity for funding purposes.
- Army Nurse Corps
They also offer a scholarship for undergraduate nursing students. Requirements were mentioned above.
The above-mentioned scholarship programs are just but a few of those available. It is up to the applicant to choose the one they prefer that will fit their learning needs. As long as you pass the criteria of how each is awarded you will get the funds.
Nursing has been known as the female-dominated profession, and a male nurse has been rare to witness. The same goes for getting scholarships for nursing students from the male category. However, with the economic issues and the flooded job market all most people want is a stable career. This has led to an increase of men in the nursing field, as a matter of fact it’s predicted by that by the year 2020 men will make up 25% of the nurses in the USA.
The need for a scholarship for the male nursing students has grown. The following are some of the organizations that offer scholarships specifically for men, and the requirements needed.
- American Assembly for Men in Nursing(AAMN)
They offer different kinds of scholarships for male nursing students, these are the available ones in 2016:
AAMN – Johnson & Johnson Pre-Licensure Nursing Student Scholarship: $5,000
Applicant must submit an essay on the given topic and follow all the instructions to the letter. The essay must be submitted in essay form to the website.
AAMN – Johnson & Johnson Graduate Student Men’s Health Scholarship: $5,000
An eligible applicant must be a nursing practice doctor, Registered nurse, or a student pursuing master or Ph.D. You must submit a paper addressing one men’s health topic together with either a scholarly project, or research oriented project, or an evidence-based practice project.
AAMN — Murse World Academic Progression in Nursing: REGISTERED NURSE to BSN Student Scholarship: $1,000
The male nursing student, applying for this scholarship is required to submit an essay on the given topic. This topic is dependent on the year one is applying for.
AAMN Caring Men Paying it Forward Scholarship: $1,000
The applicant is required to write an essay and make a presentation to the local community creating awareness on the essay’s topic.
AAMN Pre-licensure Men in Nursing Video Scholarship Contest: $1,000
The applicant is required to make a 1-4 minute video aimed at registering more men in the nursing profession.
- All applicants must have a 2.75 GPA
- All applicants must present a recommendation from one of the faculty members in the nursing program they were in.
- All applicants must present evidence of acceptance and completion of at least one year by a nursing program.
- All applicants must have completed at least a year of nursing program
- All applicants must be enrolled in an accredited nursing program
- All applicants must be AAMN members
- Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation (CKSF)
It offers a scholarship for male nursing students.
They give $ 1500 to recipients.
- All applicants must be U.S. graduate, college or high school students.
- All applicants must participate in the competition that involve one or more quizzes from various topics, ranging from books, academic subjects, websites or even movies
- The quiz is sent to your account when you register in the CKSF website.
- The results are accessible from your account’s homepage
- The winners are those that score the highest in the quizzes
- The scholarship can be useful in any post-secondary school in U.S
- The award ranges from $250 to $2500
- State Student Assistance Commission of Indiana (SSACI) male nursing scholarship.
This scholarship is awarded to male nurses who are enrolled in Indiana’s accredited nursing program.
The scholarship is worth $5000 annually.
- The applicants should have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. The higher one scores the higher the probability of getting the scholarship.
- The applicant should fill the application and submit in time.
- Ohio Nurses Foundation
This scholarship for male nursing students is offered to applicants who reside in Ohio.
It sponsored by the Ohio Nurses Association.
It awards $1000 to recipients.
It offers a variety of scholarship options, these are:
- Hayward memorial scholarship — aims at registered nurses who want to teach nursing.
- Hague Memorial Scholarship — it targets graduate nursing students who have leadership aspirations in the nursing field.
- Traditional nursing student scholarships — the applicants who don’t have a break longer than 2 years from high school to college and who have not obtained any degree.
- Minority scholarships — applicant should be of a minority race, resides in Ohio and is pursuing a fist nursing degree that leads to registered nurse licensure.
- Registered nurses majoring in nursing — meant for registered nurses interested in pursuing the nursing profession in Ohio.
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses (NAHN)
This is an association that is dedicated to making sure every Hispanic nurse has equal opportunity economically, professionally and academically. This includes male nursing students too. They offer scholarships to nursing students, although the amount is dependent on a specific chapter.
- The recipients are limited persons from the Hispanic race, who show promise of becoming determined, successful and good role models in the nursing field.
- The recipient should be a U.S. citizen.
- The applicant should have an impressive academic standing.
- The scholarship is also awarded depending on the need of the applicants.
Nursing being a field that keeps growing on a day-to-day basis, especially with the increase of hospitals; the interest in the field has grown too. This growth increases the number of high school graduates looking to pursue it. However, interest in something does not always mean you have the means to pursue it. Many are those that are interested in the field but run short in the finance department. There is no need to worry here are some scholarship options you can look into:
- GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIPS
These are scholarships that are issued out by the military. They include:
Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) — They give you a scholarship in exchange for your service in the ROTC program.
- You must score 920 in the SAT or 19 in ACT
- You must agree to commit to serving in the army as agreed upon
- You must have a high-school diploma
- You must score a 2.50 GPA
- You must be a US citizen
- You must pass the physical test
- You must be between the ages of 17 and 26
Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) – They also have a nursing option in their scholarship. Since the scholarship is offered for one to pursue majors needed in the Air Force. A nursing scholarship is under the non-technical scholarship category. The recipient is required to pursue a single foreign language and complete it in four semesters or 24-hour physical science and math, and must attain a minimum grade of C — before they can be commissioned or graduate.
Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) – the give the recipients a nursing track which leads to a bachelor’s degree. The recipient of this nursing scholarship is required to attend a nursing program associated with NROTC. They are courses that the recipient is required to do. These are maritime affair, sea power, and naval science. The requirements are just as those of AROTC.
- ADMINISTRATION SCHOLARSHIPS
The Nurse Corps Scholarship program aims at helping equalize the demand for nurses and their availability. They do this by giving scholarships for nursing students that cover tuition, educational cost, and fees, in exchange for the recipients working for them after they graduate.
- The applicant must a citizen in the U.S.
- The applicant must not have any unpaid federal debt
- The applicant must have no federal judgment liens
- The applicant has to be accepted in a professional nursing program that is accredited and is located in the U.S.
- The applicant’s classes must not begin later than September 30
- The applicant must not committed to any other service
A nursing program is very costly; this is the reason behind some colleges offering scholarships to nursing students. It is very helpful for high school graduates interested in pursuing nursing. This assists them in making the financial strain a manageable.
The above mention scholarships for nursing students are just but a few of those available. It is up to the applicant to choose the one they prefer that will fit their learning needs.