For over a century now, Chamberlain school of nursing has been at the forefront of providing quality nursing education. The college was started in 1989 after an evangelical pastor in St. Louis established the need for medical services in the area. It was first named Deaconess School of Nursing, but it was renamed in 2005 when it was acquired by DeVry Education Group. One of the requirements for this acquisition was that the name is changed, and it came to be known as Chamberlain to reflect the critical care played by nurses in the provision of health care. It school continues to uphold the legacy of the founders by enabling more and more people to access quality nursing education so that they can effectively serve the needs of the communities around them. The school has been accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, and specific courses have also been accredited by the relevant bodies. It has campuses in different places such as Ohio, Texas, Florida, Missouri, and Arizona.
- Chamberlain School of Nursing Mission and Values
- Courses Offered at Chamberlain School of Nursing
- Applying for Admission at Chamberlain School of Nursing
- Why Chamberlain School of Nursing Is a Good School?
- Chamberlain School of Nursing Student Portal
- Jobs and Internships for Chamberlain School of Nursing Students and Graduates
- Tuition and Expenses at Chamberlain School of Nursing
- Online Programs at Chamberlain School of Nursing
- Reviews on Chamberlain School of Nursing
Chamberlain school of nursing was started with the purpose of producing healthcare professionals who would transform the healthcare sector worldwide. The vision of the nursing institution is to establish an academic culture that enables students to thrive and to emerge as extraordinary professionals. It has the mission of empowering, educating, and emboldening diverse healthcare professionals who will use their skills to advance the health of people. It seeks to model and teach its students the values that are highly respected in nursing such as:
This is based on the belief that when the students are properly taught and trained on the right values, they will go on to make a positive impact on healthcare on a global scale. The commitment towards ensuring the success of the students makes it a favorite among people seeking to enroll in nursing courses. The curriculum at Chamberlain school of nursing is built upon evidence-based practice which is achieved through partnerships with other stakeholders in the healthcare community.
- Undergraduate programs
The school offers undergraduate programs that enable nursing students to acquire their Bachelor of Science in Nursing thus granting them access to the healthcare sector. This course does not require any prior training in the field and it takes four years to complete.
- RN to BSN
This option is offered for registered nurses who want to earn a Bachelor of Science in nursing. The upgrade enables the nurses to take up more responsibilities and supervisory roles and also to get a higher salary. It takes approximately two years and equips nurses with more skills through experiential training sessions at medical facilities.
- Masters of Science in nursing programs
The program takes an average of two years. It has been designed to ensure that nurses are well-prepared for expanding roles in the healthcare system, and to give them a better chance for professional advancement. During the first year, students take MSN core courses and in the second year, they complete specialty track courses and undergo a practicum. Core MSN courses offered at Chamberlain school of nursing include pharmacology, ethics, healthcare ethics, biochemistry, psychology, and health assessment among others.
After completing the core nursing courses required for the program, one is allowed to change the practice into one of the five available specialties in the school which include:
- Nurse Educator: The specialty prepares nurses to offer education and training in different settings and makes them eligible for further studies. The coursework covers areas such as instructional methods in nursing, educational foundations, assessment procedure, and curriculum development.
- Nurse Executive: It equips students with the necessary skills for nurse leadership through offering them courses such as theories of organizational leadership, managerial communication, and effective decision making. This is done in association with the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program offered at Devry University where students from Chamberlain school of nursing can further their studies.
- Family Nurse Practitioner: The primary goal of this specialty track is to prepare students to expand their clinical practice into more diverse settings such as clinics, hospitals, businesses, government agencies, healthcare agencies, and private practice. It focuses on preventing diseases and promoting health for people from all age groups.
- Nursing Informatics: It educates nurses on how to identify, collect, process, and organize data that will promote research and expand knowledge in the nursing practice. It integrates concepts from nursing science and computer science.
- Healthcare Policy: It ensures that students can analyze and influence the nursing policy. This prepares them to work in healthcare research, hold elective office in the field, and work in legislative offices. This is achieved through various sections of the coursework, for example, economics, global health, nursing leadership, principles of the healthcare system, and foundations of healthcare policy.
Chamberlain School of Nursing’s MSN emphasizes the application of theories and classwork in the field. For this reason, students must complete a practicum after completing the specialty track of their choice. The duration of the practicum ranges from 100-200 hours with the support and supervision of an experienced professional.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree (DNP)
The program was introduced to enable graduates to improve healthcare outcomes by preparing them to analyze, synthesize, and utilize scientific reasoning at the highest level. With this, they can plan and implement healthcare programs for individuals, families and communities. The curriculum for this course ensures that the nurses are equipped with the skills of working in leadership roles for different settings and improving healthcare services for maximum patient safety. The degree program at Chamberlain school of nursing involves four practicum courses that give the learners a chance to integrate course content into field practice experiences.
Prospective students for this school have to fill an application form and attend an interview with the school admission advisor. The Chamberlain Admission Committee then determines one’s academic eligibility and conducts background check. The next step is clinical eligibility, which involves drug screening and any other clinical requirements stipulated by the specific state. The process must be completed at least three months before the student can be allowed to start classes.
- It has extraordinary resources and equipment such as human simulators, physical assessment exam tables, birthing simulators, and patient monitoring equipment among others. The equipment offers a practical platform for students to hone their skills. They can easily alter the vitals of the simulators and produce varying symptoms which will increase their ability to respond in real time.
- Besides the classroom learning, the school provides the students with other exciting opportunities such as the chance to participate in Global Health Education Program in different countries. Such experiences give the students a deeper understanding of healthcare needs in various parts of the world.
- The school engages the students in community service whereby they volunteer their time and other resources for a worthy cause. This gives them pride and satisfaction for making a positive impact on the lives of other people.
- It offers flexible study options, and this attracts even professionals who may want to advance their education or switch from other careers to nursing. The weekend and evening class options further increase the flexibility.
- The instructors at Chamberlain school of nursing go out of their way to assist the students even beyond classwork and to attend to their concerns.
The school has a student portal that is open for use by instructors, students, and administrators. It contains useful information pertaining courses offered, email programs, timetables, exam schedules, and contact numbers for the various departments in the school. Members of the school community can access the portal by logging in, while those who are non-members can access it by visiting the homepage of the portal. One of the benefits of having a student portal is that it provides a single access point of information for both the staff and the students thus saving them a lot of time. The online portal also ensures that the parties involved can access the data from anywhere, regardless of what time of day it is. In addition to the portal, the school has a Chamberlain app through which the nursing students can access their grades and any other information they may need, and this facilitates ease of communication. Through the Chamberlain App, they can also participate in discussion threads on matters affecting the school.
Graduates of Chamberlain school of nursing become members of the Alumni Association, which is an organization that promotes community service, lifelong learning, and advancement of the nursing career. Through the Association, graduates can connect with healthcare professionals from different parts of the world. It also enables them to remain in contact with former classmates and professors, and with this, they can network and establish contact with employers. They can also enlighten each other on the best path to follow after graduation. The school holds alumni awards which help to communicate the value of the education they offer. With this, they cast the alumni in a positive light to the professional healthcare community, making it easier for them to be absorbed in the job market. Continuing students are also made aware of any available opportunities by their instructors or even through the college blog. Additionally, the practicum that is part of the course requirements gives the students a chance to interact with already established professionals in the field, who can guide them towards getting employment opportunities.
Tuition cost and other expenses at the institution are itemized and calculated on a single session basis. Students pay an average of $ 675 per credit hour in most of the programs, and the total tuition cost varies according to the duration of the course. Other expenses incurred include admission fee, injury & sickness insurance, student service charge, books, and equipment expense, and uniforms. Students can apply for federal financial assistance in the form of loans, grants, and work-study.
Chamberlain school of nursing is a pioneer in the online provision of nursing education. They introduced this program in 2000 for the bachelor’s degree. Today, the online study option is available for various programs in the college such as RN to BSN and also Masters of Science in Nursing. Students complete the coursework online, but they have to attend a hands-on clinical practice. Online program availability varies by location, but the school ensures to update the information on their website as it is available.
There are a number of negative and positive reviews about the school, which have been given by students, alumni, and even employees of the institution. The institution tries as much as possible to gather this information as that it can be used in making the necessary changes and improvements. Complaints and negative reviews are usually taken seriously, and the school ensures to address such concerns for the benefit of all. Below are some of the reviews:
From former employees
- Interaction with the students was a rewarding experience. They are respectful and highly motivated. They make the classes highly interactive and interesting.
- I was a visiting professor, and I enjoyed working with Chamberlain school of nursing. The faculty is committed to ensuring professional advancement.
- I liked the academic flexibility offered because I could choose classes that fit my schedule. The weekend and evening study options were great.
- Attending Chamberlain School of Nursing was the best decision I ever made for my career. The admission process was seamless, and the college experience was great due to the supportive faculty. The school is, however, a bit expensive as compared to other nursing schools at the same level.
From continuing students
- The professors are very helpful, and they are always willing to answer questions from the students even outside class hours. They explain concepts well and assist with difficult assignments.
- I am a current student taking online RN to BSN course and approaching the end of my program at Chamberlain school of nursing. The content in all the courses has been appropriate in that it is challenging enough but not so hard to manage.